• This topic has 24 replies, xviii voices, and was last updated 11 years, half-dozen months ago past Anonymous.

Viewing 15 posts - one through 15 (of 25 total)

  • Author

    Posts

  • #988747

    Hi, I only wondered how to prepare a charcoal sketch before applying oil paint on superlative? would workable fixative be any adept?

    I take some 'clear gesso', so I'm gona attempt puttin a layer of that on top of the charcoal..but i assume this volition smudge the sketch, but I'll give it a fissure anyhow lol

    I know some people use charcoal under oil paint though, so just wondered how they practise it?

    :)

    #1142142

    i've seen references to using spray Retouch Varnish, just i've not seen detailed data on this, like, how long to wait for drying earlier beginning to paint.

    also, some people dust off whatever heavy charcoal build-up in the drawing and just paint directly on top of the drawing.

    Lamar

    Art is life'southward dream interpretation.
    - Otto Rank

    #1142139

    One technique that I've come up across, and used myself once to peachy success, was not using charcoal at all.

    Now, if you like to depict straight on the surface with charcoal, this may not be for you.

    Merely… if you are the kind of artist who transfers a cartoon, from lets say a written report y'all did on paper, or on the figurer, yous tin can and so go over the transfer with ink.

    What this does, is avoids the messy pushing of charcoal around, and the ink will not move when oil is applied over it (every bit long as you let information technology dry a flake).

    This worked great when using a multi-layered arroyo because the detailed drawing remained visible for a few layers when I needed it, then eventually disappears towards the stop.

    Hither'due south where I got the idea:
    http://artpapa.com/html/Free_Lessons_Pink_Rose.html

    #1142149

    I oasis't found information technology necessary to set up the charcoal, as long as I don't describe as well heavily. For that matter, I've never had a problem with graphite haemorrhage up through the pigment layers they fashion information technology'southward supposed to do either. Just draw lightly and showtime painting!

    BLUEFUZE's ink cartoon technique has a long tradition likewise, though I've never done that with an oil painting, only with egg tempera. I wonder how well the ink would accept to an oil-primed canvas…?

    #1142159

    I don't know how others exercise information technology, merely I "set" my charcoal sketch with pigment that has been thinned to the consistency of ink. I primarily brand a line sketch in charcoal straight on the canvas, and I dab off the excess charcoal so that the charcoal lines are very light. And so I brand a thin inky puddle of pigment (depending on how I take toned my canvas, I apply ultramarine, yellow ochre, or burnt umber for the "ink") and mix with OMS. Using a liner brush, I go over my charcoal lines with the thinned pigment. Information technology may smudge and drip a flake, but once it is dry, the smudges and drips are easily covered in the painting procedure.

    that's what works for me !

    Z

    #1142138

    I fix charcoal with Bulls Eye spray shellac… dust on a couple light coats to set, followed by one heavier coat to finish. Information technology gets sleeky if applied too heavily, simply it leaves you with a very squeamish surface when done correctly.

    Steven Vandervate
    Blog[/URL]
    Facebook[/Colour]

    #1142154

    I'1000 with Lawrence, I depict lightly in charcoal and it doesn't seem to needfixing, if one area gets messy – I wash lightly it to seal tat color block!

    #1142155

    BLUEFUZE's ink drawing technique has a long tradition as well, though I've never washed that with an oil painting, only with egg tempera. I wonder how well the ink would take to an oil-primed canvass…?

    I've washed this on gesso primed also every bit oil primed canvas. The ink sticks very well.

    I usually make a cartoon in pencil on canvas then go over my drawing with ink. After that I launder away any pencil remains with turpentine leaving only ink drawing behind. It works very well for me.

    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Monika[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"I do not literally pigment that tabular array but the emotion it produces upon me" - Henri Mattise

    My Website Facebook Twitter

    #1142140

    Retouch Varnish or Aqua-Cyberspace hairspray in a compression.

    #1142143

    Retouch Varnish or Aqua-Net hairspray in a pinch.

    regarding the Retouch Varnish, would one use just a single light glaze, and how much time would be required for drying before starting the painting?

    I fix charcoal with Bulls Heart spray shellac…

    would shellac be affected by solvents like turpentine?

    I usually brand a cartoon in pencil on canvas then go over my drawing with ink.

    i like the sound of this method, only isn't using graphite a no-no in oil painting? also, what kind of ink are we talking nearly, please.

    Lamar

    Art is life'southward dream estimation.
    - Otto Rank

    #1142156

    i similar the audio of this method, but isn't using graphite a no-no in oil painting? besides, what kind of ink are we talking almost, please.

    I've heard something about the graphite not being recommended, I'm not sure what the reasons were, only I'thousand not worrying about it since the graphite is removed completely with turpentine before I apply whatsoever paint. As to ink, I'k using Winsor & Newton nut brown and I apply it with a nib.

    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Monika[/Colour]
    [FONT=Volume Antiqua]"I do not literally paint that table only the emotion it produces upon me" - Henri Mattise

    My Website Facebook Twitter

    #1142144

    cheers, Monika. is that ink waterproof? would that affair? is it removed if turpentine were used to thin pigment on height of the ink drawing?

    the thing with graphite is that it supposedly somehow rises through to show on tiptop. i don't know this to truthful, but references to graphite underdrawings "striking through" are non uncommon. maybe your turpentine launder negates that.

    Lamar

    Art is life'due south dream interpretation.
    - Otto Rank

    #1142157

    No, information technology's non waterproof.. The turpentine volition remove almost of it if you lot rub hard enough just even then it's hard to remove all of it.. Just applying a paint on acme of the drawing volition non practise anything to the drawing.

    [FONT=Volume Antiqua]Monika[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"I do not literally paint that tabular array but the emotion information technology produces upon me" - Henri Mattise

    My Website Facebook Twitter

    #1142150

    This thread at AMIEN may be relevant:

    Preliminary Drawings On Support

    We're sad that the information you have almost the vulnerability of graphite and solubility of inks applied under oil paints is incorrect. At that place is a long history of underdrawings in all sorts of media; we have not heard of any technical defects of the sort yous describe, arising from the exercise.

    The graphite, the graphite newspaper, and a sparse awarding of ink used to reinforce the drawing preliminary to painting are all going to be overwhelmed past the force of the oil paints. If yous pigment too thinly, of form you volition see the drawing through the paint — some artists actually like the issue. But 1 more layer of pigment over that will cover it up.

    #1142158

    Thanks for the quote lawrence.. it's good to know.. personally I've never had a trouble with graphite or ink but I know that some people have questions.

    Lamar – 1 thing I desire to add together is that the ink drawing will remain visible for the first couple of layers if y'all paint very thinly and transparent. These days I usually dilute my ink with h2o to make it very light, only dark enough for me to see faint lines through imprimatura (first launder). The first couple of portraits I didn't dilute and drew on very thickly and I had the drawing showing through for the first iii layeres but somewhen even that was completely covered, so no worries.

    [FONT=Volume Antiqua]Monika[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Volume Antiqua]"I do non literally paint that table but the emotion it produces upon me" - Henri Mattise

    My Website Facebook Twitter

Viewing xv posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

  • The topic 'how to set up charcoal sketch before applying oil paint?' is closed to new replies.